Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Snail on a yellow leaf

After dark this evening, in the dim light of a parking lot, a magnolia's leaves glowed so brightly yellow that I had to collect a few to bring home. A tiny snail was riding on one.

"Spot"

It was about 1/8 of an inch across, curled up in the shell, where it didn't stay long. This was a very active snail, or at least a snail in a hurry to get out of the light, constantly on the move, even seconds after I had been handling it, always waving its head from one side to the other.

I have never seen a land snail with this spotted mantle, that flows out and over the edge of the shell, like a moon snail's does, in the ocean, nor one that never extends its eyestalks and lower tentacles more than these rounded bumps. I couldn't find any snails like it on the web.

Almost a curled-up cat pose.

I subjected him to lights and house warmth for a few minutes, then took him out to the garden and the rain.

1 comment:

  1. I don't love snails in my garden, but this little guy is actually cute. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger